Tag Archives: Web-Mapping

Troubleshooting Arcgis Map Services

the last week I have spent numerous hours troubleshooting arcgis map services. I had created multiple map services to host in an arcgisonline map. These services each act as a single layer in my map. The layers are observation points, features, survey units, modern roads, modern towns, quickbird imagery, and a digital elevation model. 

Two of the layers experienced problems with loading them into a web format. This was traced back to an ArcSDE problem. The features and survey units layers both required multiple related tables to be used. They also required a new related table, the photolog. This new table would allow us to choose a given feature F0002, and get back a list of the photo IDs that were taken at that specific feature. 

I spent numerous hours on the phone with ESRI technical support and we discovered that the problem stemmed from our database having a capital A in its name, Avkat.SDE. Therefore I had to create a new database that I could host the problem data in. This was no easy task. As errors were appearing that the ESRI analyst said, “This error only happens in ArcGIS 9.1”. Needless to say I was in ArcGIS 9.3. After much effort, I finally got the features and survey units layers to work and they are up and running. However during a second technical support session, I learned that Arcgisonline does not support related table views in their popups. This is a problem, as we wanted to be able to click on an individual feature and see in the popup all the information from the feature table, but also pictures. We now need a new way to show the pictures for individual features. This will have to be handled by the query method. 

We are now proceeding to add functionality to the query portion of the website. We are adding in a method to view a basic layout of the information queried as well as options for extra information and a button to view the photos. 

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Arcgisonline updates

Recently I have setup a map in Arcgisonline for eventual use embedded in the avkat website.

  • The layers of this map are taken from the Mapserver definition file currently running on earth.cofc.edu:10080/avkat.html.
  • I took the MapServer file that is being hosted on earth and split it into seven seperate MapServer files that are each running independently on earth.
  • Then I imported them into a new map in Arcgisonline  with their own observation pop-ups.

With the help of Norm, I imported the photolog to our Avkat geodatabase as an SDE geodatabase table. To begin working on bringing the photos into the map as part of each feature’s popup along with its other information.

  • I then imported this table to the Survey Units MapServer file
  • and the Features MapServer File.
  • This photolog has a field FUSUID that shows either the FUID or the SUID where each picture was taken of the over 15,000 pictures.
  • I then related the features layer to photolog on FUID and FUSUID.
  • I then related the survey units layer to photolog on SUID and FUSUID.
  • these relates will allow us to know exactly which photos go with every single fuid and suid.

The next step is to setup the photos on our server so that they can be accessed by our map.

  • Originally we thought that we could create a Raster Catalog that would point to the directory where the photos are and that we would not need to actually move the photos. 
  • After we began the geoprocess we realized that creating a raster catalog and loading the photos would actually copy and paste the 40 gigabytes of photos. This was no good.
  • We then realized that all we had to do was to create a simple website with a list of hyperlinks to each photo using our Inetpub/wwwroot directory.
  • This gave me a lot more trouble that expected. I discovered that the standard way to create a html page has all links within the same directory as the html page in the wwwroot folder. I had something different, my pictures were on a network drive on an entirely seperate machine.
  • I attempted to create a virtual directory using IIS 6.0 so that the hyperlink would assume that on my website, https://earth.cofc.edu/avkat_photos.default.htm there would be a way to go to https://earth.cofc.edu/avkat_photos/images/imagename to view a specific photo called imagename. This “subdirectory” images would not be located physically within the avkat_photos directory.
  • I am still researching how to correctly execute this virtual directory to allow my hyperlinks to work correctly.

Leave a comment

Filed under Project Updates

The Mock-up: Part I

We have now created a mock-up of our user interface (UI) of our WMA. To develop this mock-up we reviewed the initial goals for the WMA. Given that data collection for the project has finished, the current critical need is in the area of data querying, data review, and export of data subsets for further manipulation in other applications (e.g., Excel, Photoshop, SPSS, ArcGIS). After revisiting these goals, various CSS, HTML, and JavaScript snippets were combined. These snippets resulted in an initial UI which was then commented upon by members of the informatics team. We have now taken these comments and created two mock-ups which are presented below. The first figure depicts the overall UI while the second figure presents a feature selection information bubble.

It should be noted that this is our first WMA, designed to handle basic query searches and data extraction. We will design WMAs relevant to the needs of the project.

2 Comments

Filed under Project Updates