I am copying the spatial SQL database, named Avkat, and the tabular SQL database, named avkat_mysql, from the geodata server where they are live, to the beta server, gis.cofc.edu. Once they are both copied to gis, we will attempt to run our live beta version of the web viewer through these two beta databases. I will begin to merge the spatial and tabular databases into a single database for our beta production, in order to simplify the querying done by our system.
I discovered how to copy the tabular database from geodata to gisdata. That was easily done within sql server management studio. The spatial data requires extra steps. I attempted a plain copy using sql server but this will not work. The spatial database is a geodatabase that has certain schema properties set from arcgis server. I am not able to do this at the moment because our arcgis server version 10.1 is not running at the moment. I have found that all I have to do is use the Enable Enterprise Geodatabase tool in arccatalog to change the schema of a basic sql server database into an arc sde. This requires something called an authorization file.
- “Provide the path and file name of the keycodes file that was created when you authorized ArcGIS for Server Enterprise. This file is in the \\Program Files\ESRI\License<release#>\sysgen folder on Windows and /arcgis/server/framework/runtime/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/ESRI/License<release#>/sysgen directory on Linux. If you have not already done so, authorize ArcGIS for Server to create this file.”
This authorization file is not there on our machine because we have been having trouble updating the version of arcgis server from 10.0 to 10.1. Once we can finish the install on our arcgis server, we will be able to create a new SDE geodatabase.
As an aside, Dr. Newhard asked me to post the following so we would not forget. We also discovered a change in how connecting to SDE databases works in arcgis 10.1. When connecting to Avkat as an SDE in ArcGIS, after creating the connection shortcut, you must right click on the database connection, then go to geodatabase connection properties and change the transactional version from DEFAULT to Published. This will allow it to show all of the changes made to it by us.