the last week I have spent numerous hours troubleshooting arcgis map services. I had created multiple map services to host in an arcgisonline map. These services each act as a single layer in my map. The layers are observation points, features, survey units, modern roads, modern towns, quickbird imagery, and a digital elevation model.
Two of the layers experienced problems with loading them into a web format. This was traced back to an ArcSDE problem. The features and survey units layers both required multiple related tables to be used. They also required a new related table, the photolog. This new table would allow us to choose a given feature F0002, and get back a list of the photo IDs that were taken at that specific feature.
I spent numerous hours on the phone with ESRI technical support and we discovered that the problem stemmed from our database having a capital A in its name, Avkat.SDE. Therefore I had to create a new database that I could host the problem data in. This was no easy task. As errors were appearing that the ESRI analyst said, “This error only happens in ArcGIS 9.1”. Needless to say I was in ArcGIS 9.3. After much effort, I finally got the features and survey units layers to work and they are up and running. However during a second technical support session, I learned that Arcgisonline does not support related table views in their popups. This is a problem, as we wanted to be able to click on an individual feature and see in the popup all the information from the feature table, but also pictures. We now need a new way to show the pictures for individual features. This will have to be handled by the query method.
We are now proceeding to add functionality to the query portion of the website. We are adding in a method to view a basic layout of the information queried as well as options for extra information and a button to view the photos.