Author Archives: mbmazzar

Building Avkat Web App in Microsoft Visual Studio 2012

I have chosen Visual Studio as the environment in which we will create the new Avkat Web App. This app will collaborate with the work Daniel has done on ArcGIS online.  I have embedded the map within my website, which was a fairly straightforward process.  I have created a interface that allows for querying our tabular data on the database Avkat_mySql.  Users will be able to chose content types of features, survey units, and ceramics.  Users can specify a date range or Era which corresponds to each content type. When Users click the button “Execute Query” a table will be generated that includes all the needed attributes of their chosen content. The first two cells of each row contain an info and photo button. The info button will bring the user to a new tab that has a detailed listing of all attributes. The photo button will bring the user to a new tab that will display all photos of the chosen content.

We are currently creating the functionality behind the photo and info button. I am collaborating with Daniel to make this happen.  The design of the current website is also under construction. We are focusing on the functionality of the web app first and foremost.  Here is a quick look at what we have so far, with some queried results.

Screenshot

Leave a comment

Filed under Project Updates

Migration of UI Complete, Coding begins

Today we have successfully moved the user interface from Earth to GIS. The new URL is http://gis.cofc.edu:10080/avkat.html. We will now move our 2 databases(avkat, avkat_mysql) over to server GIS to make a full migration of Avkat Informatics, without any ties to server Earth, or Geodata. We are currently digging through the code to find all of the data retrieval endpoints, which we will now direct to GIS. I have identified the main endpoint to be the file OpenDB.php. The endpoint has now been updated to gis.COUGARS.INT without any visible problems. We must continue to make sure all of the data pointers are consistent. The next step will be to connect the UI to our tabular data on avkat_mysql. Doing so will add functionality to the left panel of our current UI. Multiple breakthroughs were achieved today, progress should move much faster from this point.

Leave a comment

Filed under Project Updates

Migration from Server Earth to GIS

We are now in the process of making a transition from hosting our current UI on earth to the Server GIS. We have migrated our Avkat project folder to GIS and are in the process of migrating our 2 Sql Server databases (Avkat and Avkat_MySql). We have run into a snag recently when looking through our project folder. It is currently unknown as to which of the UI code is actually running live. Once we identify the code of our current working version, we will then upload it to our proteus directory on GitHub. GitHub will help us manage our subsequent versions as we begin to manipulate the code. To get Proteus running live on GIS we must change the pointers to our databases. In our current live version the databases live on Geodata. Once we migrate our databases to GIS, we will be able to establish GIS as our full hosting server for the Avkat project. Doing so will help tremendously from an organizational standpoint. We are still waiting on the help of John Wall do direct us on the logistics of pushing proteus live onto GIS.

Leave a comment

Filed under Project Updates, Setting Up

New Course – Geol 303 – Applied Archaeo/Geoinformatics

This course is a independent study  in which we seek to improve the current AVKAT solution to view archaeologic information in the ArcGIS 10 environment. The web design and user interface for AVKAT has been built. Our task is to build a database in Microsoft SQL Server 2008 to house our Archeologic data and connect it with the ArcGIS Environment.  This task will improve the functionality of the web interface by giving us the possibility to display and query relevant features of our collected data.

We begin with an array of administrative tasks to insure that we have access to all relevant data and programs across several key network drives. We will be using the server named ‘Earth’ for the bulk of our work in manipulating the AVKAT project. Today we have obtained all the sufficent credentials that we need to work on ‘Earth’. We have begun to familiarize ourselves with the AVKAT data and central program that drives our current user interface found at http://earth.cofc.edu:10080/avkat.html.

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized