Monthly Archives: November 2012

Arcgisonline updates

Recently I have setup a map in Arcgisonline for eventual use embedded in the avkat website.

  • The layers of this map are taken from the Mapserver definition file currently running on earth.cofc.edu:10080/avkat.html.
  • I took the MapServer file that is being hosted on earth and split it into seven seperate MapServer files that are each running independently on earth.
  • Then I imported them into a new map in Arcgisonline  with their own observation pop-ups.

With the help of Norm, I imported the photolog to our Avkat geodatabase as an SDE geodatabase table. To begin working on bringing the photos into the map as part of each feature’s popup along with its other information.

  • I then imported this table to the Survey Units MapServer file
  • and the Features MapServer File.
  • This photolog has a field FUSUID that shows either the FUID or the SUID where each picture was taken of the over 15,000 pictures.
  • I then related the features layer to photolog on FUID and FUSUID.
  • I then related the survey units layer to photolog on SUID and FUSUID.
  • these relates will allow us to know exactly which photos go with every single fuid and suid.

The next step is to setup the photos on our server so that they can be accessed by our map.

  • Originally we thought that we could create a Raster Catalog that would point to the directory where the photos are and that we would not need to actually move the photos. 
  • After we began the geoprocess we realized that creating a raster catalog and loading the photos would actually copy and paste the 40 gigabytes of photos. This was no good.
  • We then realized that all we had to do was to create a simple website with a list of hyperlinks to each photo using our Inetpub/wwwroot directory.
  • This gave me a lot more trouble that expected. I discovered that the standard way to create a html page has all links within the same directory as the html page in the wwwroot folder. I had something different, my pictures were on a network drive on an entirely seperate machine.
  • I attempted to create a virtual directory using IIS 6.0 so that the hyperlink would assume that on my website, https://earth.cofc.edu/avkat_photos.default.htm there would be a way to go to https://earth.cofc.edu/avkat_photos/images/imagename to view a specific photo called imagename. This “subdirectory” images would not be located physically within the avkat_photos directory.
  • I am still researching how to correctly execute this virtual directory to allow my hyperlinks to work correctly.
Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Project Updates