I am copying the spatial SQL database, named Avkat, and the tabular SQL database, named avkat_mysql, from the geodata server where they are live, to the beta server, gis.cofc.edu. Once they are both copied to gis, we will attempt to run our live beta version of the web viewer through these two beta databases. I will begin to merge the spatial and tabular databases into a single database for our beta production, in order to simplify the querying done by our system.
I discovered how to copy the tabular database from geodata to gisdata. That was easily done within sql server management studio. The spatial data requires extra steps. I attempted a plain copy using sql server but this will not work. The spatial database is a geodatabase that has certain schema properties set from arcgis server. I am not able to do this at the moment because our arcgis server version 10.1 is not running at the moment. I have found that all I have to do is use the Enable Enterprise Geodatabase tool in arccatalog to change the schema of a basic sql server database into an arc sde. This requires something called an authorization file.
“Provide the path and file name of the keycodes file that was created when you authorized ArcGIS for Server Enterprise. This file is in the \\Program Files\ESRI\License<release#>\sysgen folder on Windows and /arcgis/server/framework/runtime/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/ESRI/License<release#>/sysgen directory on Linux. If you have not already done so, authorize ArcGIS for Server to create this file.”
This authorization file is not there on our machine because we have been having trouble updating the version of arcgis server from 10.0 to 10.1. Once we can finish the install on our arcgis server, we will be able to create a new SDE geodatabase.
As an aside, Dr. Newhard asked me to post the following so we would not forget. We also discovered a change in how connecting to SDE databases works in arcgis 10.1. When connecting to Avkat as an SDE in ArcGIS, after creating the connection shortcut, you must right click on the database connection, then go to geodatabase connection properties and change the transactional version from DEFAULT to Published. This will allow it to show all of the changes made to it by us.
Today we have successfully moved the user interface from Earth to GIS. The new URL is http://gis.cofc.edu:10080/avkat.html. We will now move our 2 databases(avkat, avkat_mysql) over to server GIS to make a full migration of Avkat Informatics, without any ties to server Earth, or Geodata. We are currently digging through the code to find all of the data retrieval endpoints, which we will now direct to GIS. I have identified the main endpoint to be the file OpenDB.php. The endpoint has now been updated to gis.COUGARS.INT without any visible problems. We must continue to make sure all of the data pointers are consistent. The next step will be to connect the UI to our tabular data on avkat_mysql. Doing so will add functionality to the left panel of our current UI. Multiple breakthroughs were achieved today, progress should move much faster from this point.
We are now in the process of making a transition from hosting our current UI on earth to the Server GIS. We have migrated our Avkat project folder to GIS and are in the process of migrating our 2 Sql Server databases (Avkat and Avkat_MySql). We have run into a snag recently when looking through our project folder. It is currently unknown as to which of the UI code is actually running live. Once we identify the code of our current working version, we will then upload it to our proteus directory on GitHub. GitHub will help us manage our subsequent versions as we begin to manipulate the code. To get Proteus running live on GIS we must change the pointers to our databases. In our current live version the databases live on Geodata. Once we migrate our databases to GIS, we will be able to establish GIS as our full hosting server for the Avkat project. Doing so will help tremendously from an organizational standpoint. We are still waiting on the help of John Wall do direct us on the logistics of pushing proteus live onto GIS.
The last 5 weeks we have encountered numerous setbacks as well as many successes in moving forward.
- We have set up a workspace in the Visualization Lab at the College of Charleston Santee Cooper GIS Lab.
- This workstation currently has two machines running with arcgis 10.0 and numerous other programs
- We have three more machines ready to be imaged after the first two to provide extra work stations
- We have set up a development server called gis.cofc.edu with the programs necessary.
To set up our beta server we had to:
- Successfully identify where all of the databases are stored.
- We are in the process of copying the databases to the beta server for testing purposes.
- Find all of the relevant code for the website and then upload to our github repository for versioning
- We have copied the majority of the data from geodata and earth to our new beta server for testing
Problems we have encountered include:
- We attempted to implement arcgis server 10.1 on our beta server with the assistance of a local charleston called ROK Tech.
- After discussing our options we have decided to revert to the stable version of arcgis server 10.0, the newer version has many problems still to be solved and is not suitable at this time for live production hosting.
- We communicated with other members of the proteus team who had done the initial setup of the current alpha version of the website UI. Due to their busy schedules and their not being on location with us it took time to sort out where all of our data was located.
We will continue to work diligently on the beta server migration. Our next step is to setup a live closed beta of the current website UI that will be hosted on gis.cofc.edu. This will allow us to continue on to upgrading the UI, as we will then be starting with the base version that is the current standard.